Monday, March 17, 2008

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Copyright © 2007-2008. Suburban Wildlife Garden. All Rights Reserved.


I love St. Patrick's Day. It reminds me of traveling to Ireland just before my son was born. One of my very favorite movies is Waking Ned Devine. If you haven't seen it, please check it out. It's very funny. Here's a little St. Paddy's e-card with a sweet song you might enjoy...





And now, back to gardening...the holly near my front porch has brilliant red berries right now which you see here and tiny white flowers that attract the bees.




The lavender I planted around my front garden birdbath is finally coming up. I can claim these blossoms as my own.




So far I can only see a few bluebonnet leaves peeking up from last year's batch, just left of the terracotta water dish...




I can't believe the same dianthus are still alive after almost a year. Still, I'm going to have to fill in the bed with some more plants this spring. Time to go to the Natural Gardener! :-)



No great reason to show my hose holder other than the fact that it's rather new & I like it.



In other news, my cat Lily has taken it upon herself to start a new, rather disturbing, habit called 'barbering' where she nibbles the fur from her belly and lower legs to about one millimeter in length. Here she is in all her naked-tummy glory... Oh Lily!



Yes, she is a shaven maven. The vet says her condition is not life-threatening, but we're still trying different foods at this point to see if perhaps she's developed an allergy. I wonder if she's getting ready for bikini weather. On the bright side she seems just as fat & happy as always. The photo proves the fat part for certain. Heh.



I will now leave you with something hopefully a bit more in keeping with the holiday; a little Loreena McKennitt...



"May you always have walls for the winds, a roof for the rain, tea beside the fire, laughter to cheer you, those you love near you, and all your heart might desire." ~Irish Blessing

Copyright © 2007-2008. Suburban Wildlife Garden. All Rights Reserved.

9 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Top of the mornin' to ya. I hope you are blessed as well.

Anonymous said...

I really like that hose holder. I need to get a couple. My hoses are always sloppily laid across the lawns.

Libbys Blog said...

That hose holder is quite special, I don't think I have ever seem one like that!! If it goes missing you'll know where to look!!

Dawn said...

Thank you Lisa at Greenbow,
Some days just being able to get out of bed feels like a blessing. ;-)

Hello MSS!
I looked far & wide for that hose holder. My favorites tend to be the old iron types, but I'm afraid they'd leave marks on my prissy white brick, so I chose aluminum. Note my hose was still "laid across the the lawn" in this photo despite the holder. Heh heh!

Hi Libby,
LOL @ your "if it goes missing" comment. I found this holder in the Ballard Designs catalog. Click on the link I just added above if you're interested. Not sure how I shopped before the internet. :-D

Cheers!
Dawn

Diana said...

Thanks for the blessing! Your lavender is lovely, as is your newly-acquired hose-holder. I've been eyeing those coppery hose pots. I have big ugly plastic boxes with the handle now - ugly, but functional when you have tendonitis like I do. Your kitty is adorable - even if their obsessive behavior can drive us nuts! I've got two neurotic dogs, so my best to you in figuring out what her "deal" is!

Mary said...

I love that hose holder, Dawn! It's so unique and I've never seen "unique" ones before :o)

Poor kitty. I wonder what's going on... But she does seem like a happy cat!

Happy St. Patrick's Day to you, too! Sorry I'm so late.

Annie in Austin said...

I hope your day was a good one, Dawn and thanks for the Irish music. The hose holder looks elegant on your wall - how is it attached? Did you have to use something like a masonry drill?

The lavender looks happy and so does the dianthus. I can't keep Dianthus alive in flower beds but the Telstars have lived in shallow containers for 3 or 4 years, hinting that they want fast drainage more than anything else.

Hello to the wacky Lily - sure hope she's not a weather prognosticator, warning us that we'll be living in bikinis this summer!

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Dawn said...

Dear Diana,
The copper hose pots are beautiful. What a lovely addition to your garden! As for our furry babies; sometimes I love them more because of their obsessions I think. ;-) They certainly make my life more interesting and they love me in spite of all my many imperfections.

Thanks Mary!
Yes, Lily is a happy if neurotic kitty indeed. As long as the food and water bowls are full, the petting is abundant and the bed is clean & fluffy all is well in her world. If she's feeling out of sorts she always has her companion Miss Mariah to chase & bite -- though Mariah only takes so much before retribution begins). Who needs television when I have two Siamese in the house? ;-)

Hello Annie!
Yes, my 'handyman' used a concrete masonry bit to screw in a plastic anchor to hold the whole thing in place.

Whether Lily is prediction the weather or no, I'm afraid my bikini days are long gone. Thank goodness for sarongs! They cover a whole host of my faults. Whew! :-)

Hope all of you have a Happy Equinox, Purim, Fast of Ester &/or a Blessed Good Friday!
Dawn

Lori said...

I'm envious of your success with lavender. I've tried maybe 8 kinds, and killed all of them.

For a consolation prize, I found a rosemary ('Tucson Blue') at The Natural Gardener that smelled more like a lavender than a rosemary. I haven't killed it-- yet-- but I wish it looked happier!