Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

Copyright © 2007-2009. Suburban Wildlife Garden. All Rights Reserved.

I hope everyone is having a very enjoyable holiday. My son's grandfather & his wife came to visit us which made our Christmas a lot happier indeed. We decorated the house much as we did last year, but I'll share some photos here again anyway...














I also took a stroll in my garden on Christmas Day.


It was nice to see some flowers are still blooming despite the temperature extremes so far this year in the Hill Country. My lipstick salvia doesn't seem to know it is Christmas...


Though the milkweed plant at least has some appropriate seed pods in preparation for the colder weather...



My favorite garden surprise of the day was this rose from my neighbor's yard that is peeking through our fence to say "Merry Christmas".


The rose brought to mind a Christmas song called "There is a Flower"... Enjoy this version sung by The King Singers...



I wish all of you a much Happier and Healthier New Year in 2009. May your gardens' blooms be their loveliest ever.

Lo, how a rose e'er blooming,
From tender stem hath sprung.

Of Jesse's lineage coming,
As men of old have sung;
It came, a flow'ret bright,
Amid the cold of winter,
When halfspent was the night. ~
late-16th century German Carol

Copyright © 2007-2009. Suburban Wildlife Garden. All Rights Reserved.

8 comments:

Jannie Funster said...

What a very beautiful blog to stumble upon! Your Christmas decorations and garden, more than exuberantly lovely.

That dining room table is gorgeous! Is it old? What tales of yore can it tell?

Happy to meet you and please do'nt let my big eye scare you off, I'm justa regular gal at heart.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

A belated Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, Dawn!

Annie in Austin said...

Your decorations are lovely, Dawn - I love the candle-antlered deer! But your unfrozen blooms are amazing - I think you have a microclimate going there, kiddo!

A second vote on your wishes for a healthier and happier 2009, even as I marvel at that number while typing it...how the heck did it get to be 2009 already?

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Anonymous said...

Dear Dawn, happy New Year to you and your family. Andrea

paris parfait said...

Such gorgeous scenes you've created. Wishing you and yours the happiest of holidays. Hope 2009 is your best year yet!

Libby said...

Happy New Year to you and your family! I love coming into your garden with you!

Dawn said...

Welcome Jannie!
Thanks for dropping by. Yes, the dining room table is old. I bought it 25+ years ago -- when I was just starting to create a home -- from a couple whose 5 children had all grown & moved on. It was old then and has definitely been used by us as well.

Happy New Year, Lisa at Greenbow!
I hope 2009 brings you happiness & more beautiful flowers to your garden.

Thanks, Bill!
Hope your holiday was filled with fun and family. Happy New Year!

Dear Annie,
My garden is so small maybe the wind just zips on by and forgets about us. ;-)

Not sure how 2009 snuck up on us, Annie. Must admit, though I try to heed my mother's advice & not wish my life away, I am *not* sad to see 2008 gone. Whew! Still crossing my fingers for a better 2009 for all of us.

Hello Andrea!
A very Happy New Year to you & yours as well. I just checked out the new look of your website. Lovely!

Merci Paris Parfait!
Bonne Année to you as well! What a treat to be visited by my favorite blog writers. Anyone who hasn't dropped by your site yet must go there immediately for a real visual feast!

Hi Libby!
Oh, I wish you could stop by in real life for a cup of tea and some cake. You could meet my cats and offer garden tips as well. What fun that would be. :-)

Happy New Year to all my Gardening Friends!

~Dawn