Thursday, November 27, 2008

With a Thankful Heart

Copyright © 2007-2008. Suburban Wildlife Garden. All Rights Reserved.

Happy Thanksgiving!


I am continuing my record as an official Blog Slacker this year by only posting an entry one time per month. My excuses? Well, recently I've started selling books online again, which is fun, but rather time-consuming. Also, this has been a difficult year for my family. Though, I must say I have a lot to be thankful for: mainly my son's successful recovery from his spinal surgery. Here he is watching a 3-D movie at a friend's house...

He has gained all his weight back and is enjoying his new straight spine. Other than avoiding sudden impacts or heavy lifting, he can do most anything within reason. He has been doing well in school too. Below is one of his recent English class projects. It's a product he made up called Hippy Cat: Organic Catnip-Flavored Cat Food©. Since there were flowers on the bottom of the poster I thought I wouldn't be cheating too badly if I shared it here. It's groovy baby! ;-)



My garden has been fairly active with wildlife since the weather has cooled off. The birds and squirrels are especially fond of the water & food that I supply. Below you can see a small bird drinking from the water garden. At first I thought it was a finch but, according to Mikael Behrens from Birding on Broadmeade it is actually a Yellow-rumped Warbler. Thanks Mikael!



And nearby a squirrel was busy getting her own drink from a small bird bath...



She didn't really trust me, but decided she was thirstier than scared...



I hope all of you have a most enjoyable and delicious Thanksgiving Day. And don't forget to eat some pie!





Animated Thanksgiving eCards.

"Seeds of discouragement will not grow in the thankful heart." ~Anonymous


Copyright © 2007-2008. Suburban Wildlife Garden. All Rights Reserved.

14 comments:

Mikael Behrens said...

Hi! Actually that looks like a Yellow-rumped Warbler at your water garden. You can even see its yellow rump, nice shot!

Dawn said...

Hello Mikael,

Thank you for the great link about the Yellow-rumped Warbler. I'm still learning about the birds in my area since I've moved here from Florida. Our house is a few blocks from the Balcones Canyonland Preserve, so we are visited by all sorts of beautiful birds.

~Dawn

Anonymous said...

It's always good to hear from you, Dawn. Don't worry about not posting frequently---you've had other concerns, and I'm thankful too that your son is doing so well.

We didn't forget to eat pie here! Happy Thanksgiving.

Dawn said...

Happy Thanksgiving Pam,

I hope your day has been very pleasant.

You are right: I should not feel guilty about not posting often, but I do. Will try to work on my new resolution: to do what *I* want for a change without any fanfair or guilt.

We ate a whole pumpkin pie today. The reasons I love Thanksgiving are all coming back to me now. Heh heh.

Cheers,
Dawn

Michelle (The Beartwinsmom) said...

I hope you didn't overstuff yourself too much on the pumpkin pie. ;-) I overdid it on the wine. I'm so thankful for you and your friendship!

Hugs for you!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you too.

Anonymous said...

I like reading your blog, no matter how often you post. The squirrels in my yard this year have been digging holes like crazy chaps, it seems like their numbers are up this year in Texas. I have also noticed an increase in road deaths by their number one predator...the car.

ESP.

http://east-side-patch.livejournal.com/

Dawn said...

Hi Michelle!
I ate just the right amount of pumpkin pie, of course. ;-) Hope your day was festive and that you & your family are doing well.

Thanks Lisa at Greenbow,
I hope your Turkey Day was delicious, too.

Welcome ESP!
Yes, the squirrels seem to be frolicking up a storm here. Too bad about their close-encounters of the automotive kind though.

BTW, it's great to 'meet' another Central Texas gardener. I just took a peek at your blog and must say I love your writing & fun pics. I'll definitely add your site to my Austin Garden Blogs list. :-)

Cheers!
Dawn

Annie in Austin said...

Dawn! How cool to see a post and know you and yours are doing well!

Attracting a yellow-rumped warbler sounds like quite a coup ;-]

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Morning Glories in Round Rock said...

I know Thanksgiving had special meaning for your family this year. Your son looks wonderfully happy and fit! I loved his inovative Hippy Cat Cat Food--I'll buy some for my kitties! ;-)

Dawn said...

Dear Annie,
You're right, it is indeed a coup. I'm thankful to the bloggers here who know their Texas birds (and flowers) & kindly let me know what's flying (and growing) in my garden. :-) I still have so much to learn!

Hello Morning Glories in Round Rock
Yes, we have so much to be thankful for this year. It's quite a relief to be on the other side of the worry, etc. And hey, if my son ever starts production on Hippy Cat I promise to send you a complimentary bag. ;-)

Cheers!
Dawn

Libby said...

Belated thanksgiving wishes. Its great that things are going well for you and your family!!
I have had to move my blog so if you wish to visit me I am now here
http://insideoutlj.blogspot.com/

ConsciousGardener said...

Glad your son is on the mend! It's good to be a slacker sometimes, lets the brain rest! I look forward to your December post!

Take care,

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Andrea