Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Filling Out

Some of the young plants I put in this spring are finally making a mark in the front garden. It's nice that they don't look like baby plants anymore. I'm anticipating a more filled-out appearance someday, but am happy with any progress.
A Bat-faced cuphea (Cuphea llavea) next to the solar light.

Mexican Bush Sage (Salvia leucantha)


The Giant Swallowtail loves my variegated lantana.


"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien (The Fellowship of the Ring)

7 comments:

Andrea's Garden said...

Pretty flowers! Our lantana has to come inside during the winter before frost comes. I have had it for years and it was given to me by my mother raised as tree. Take care, Andrea

Anonymous said...

Your cuphea looks fantastic---much fuller than mine.

Libbys Blog said...

I love the beautiful butterfly and the Bat-faced cuphea even more beautiful.

Mary said...

Hi Dawn,

I hope you are feeling better!

I am in awe of the beautiful gardens I am seeing in the blogosphere. My gardens are giving up in this climate.

Definitely Lantana next year! I think the butterflies are looking for it here :o)

Dawn said...

Hi Andrea!
I'm glad you can have lantana even if it must spend the winter inside. It's a beautiful plant. :-)

Dear Pam,
It was so good to see you today. I cannot believe any plant I have is fuller than yours. Your garden is always amazing.

Thanks Libby,
I love any plant that attracts the butterflies.

Hello Mary,
I am feeling much better, thanks Mary.

We were lucky to have so much rain this year. I wish we could send some your way. The lantana doesn't seem to mind drought. It's a good choice for low water areas.

Happy Gardening!
Dawn

Nancy said...

Arrrgghh! Why does the giant swallowtail that lives in my neighborhood fly away everytime I get my camera out!!

Lovely plants!

Dawn said...

Hi Nancy,

Thank you for dropping by.

Regarding elusive butterflies: I feel your pain. Don't know how many times I've almost captured the perfect butterfly photo just to have the little guys flutter off over the fence to pose for someone else.

:-)
Dawn