Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Heat is On!

Copyright © 2007-2008. Suburban Wildlife Garden. All Rights Reserved.

It's only June in Austin, but we've had record breaking temperatures here for so many days that it's felt more like August. My poor garden is a bit spent I'm afraid, but I'll show you what I do have. Here is a Canna that has some color left...



And my Bat Face Cuphea (Cuphea Llavea) seems content despite the hot weather....


Perhaps no one will believe it, but I swear I took photos of these very bedraggled blue bonnets on 6/17/08. See below. Nothing to write home about I admit, but I honestly cannot believe there is any color left to them at all. Still, I may rename them Bluebonnet Persistence. ;-)


The other constant in my garden are the birds and squirrels. I've counted up to eight doves at one time in the yard thus far. That seems rather a lot of doves for the little garden. They are enthusiastic about the seed and water garden. If you look closely you can count 6 doves in the photo below.


The herbs in my Hydroponic Kit are finally germinating! Thanks again to my dear friends in Tennessee and Florida for sending this lovely birthday present to me. What great fun it is!


I've kept the little dome on the parsley, which hasn't quite started germinating yet. Aren't the little plants cute? The water circulates below. The roots do not touched the water yet, but still seem to get enough moisture somehow. Here's a closer look at the tops...




In other news, I've been cleaning out old boxes I hadn't opened in decades and came across this little 'autographed dog' the hospital gave me when I had my spinal surgery when I was 15 years old (see below). It was a rather curious find since my son is having a similar spinal surgery in only a few weeks.

Of course my cat, Mariah, had to pose 'like the dog' as soon as I took it off the daybed [Heh].

She's not showing off or anything. ;-)

Just cuddling. Nothing to see here. Move along.




Seriously though, it was so strange to see that stuffed dog again after all these years with the autographs of my family and friends on it. It makes me wonder if my son will feel as much love and support before and after his surgery as I had. We live far from extended family and since my son is in the autistic spectrum he doesn't have the same kind of friendships as I did at his age. It will be a very different experience for him than it was for me, but we'll do what we can to make it good. I'm trying not to compare.

One thing we're doing before all the action packed medical scariness begins is visiting Galveston Island for a week. I'm hoping a trip to the beach with my parents might be nice for my son before the pre-surgery appointments begin later in July. We went to Galveston last year and had a nice time (the photo below is from August 2007). Maybe I'll even find some plants to blog about...when I'm not making elaborate deals with God on the beach.







Wishing all of you a very Happy, Healthy Summer. Thanks for being such nice, caring folks.



Thank You Gratitude Greetings

"In joy or sadness, flowers are our constant friends." -- Kozuko Okakura

Copyright © 2007-2008. Suburban Wildlife Garden. All Rights Reserved.

10 comments:

Annie in Austin said...

Hello Dawn - the doves are here, too - but ours are white-winged... could yours be mourning doves? What would all the birds do without water from our fountains and birdbaths? It's so hot and dry!

This must be an anxious time for all of you so the trip to the coast sure seems like a wise plan - I hope all goes well and the water splashes away your troubles for awhile.

The dachshund made me smile - my almost identical pup wasn't a hospital gift, but was a graduation gift at the end of 8th grade.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Anonymous said...

I feel for you, Dawn. The surgery your son needs must be a terrible worry, though necessary. I hope you find peace and happiness at the beach, and may your own successful example give you courage.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Dawn, I remember receiving one of those dogs for christmas one year. It was blue too.

I do hope your son has a successful surgery. I am sure you are both nervous. You both will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

I've been wondering how things were going up in your part of town. I'm sorry to hear that the surgery isn't over yet and so you're still in that uncomfortable mental space of having it looming before you.

My thoughts are with y'all. Have a great time at the beach. If you need anyone to talk to or just hang out with, just call or email me.

Libbys Blog said...

Hospitals and Operations are scary enough, but when one of our children is involved its even scarier because we have to hand over control to others, but what they can do nowadays in hospitals is mind blowing and I'm sure it will be fine and control will be returned to you soon!!!!!
{{hugs}}

Anonymous said...

Super...

Diana said...

I hope you can all take some time to enjoy the beach and get a break from the stress. It has amazing restorative powers and is such fun for kids.

You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Aki said...

Canna does not yet bloom in my garden. I think it blooms one month later.I think that Texas must be so hot.
http://iyasaka.blogspot.com/

Dawn said...

Hello Annie!
We're back from Galveston. We had a lovely time. Will post some photos as time allows.

We have the white-winged doves as well. I'm not sure what the different names of the doves are. I've been very remiss in learning all the types here thus far. They are very sweet though and both types seem to travel in pairs.

I'd love to see a photo of your dachshund. How cool that you had one too. :-)

Thanks Pam
The beach was a nice relief. The water was warm and the weather was almost perfect. Now we're back to reality of course, but that was inevitable.

Hi Lisa at Greenbow
My goodness that dachshund got around! I had no idea! :-) Thanks for your kind wishes. It means a lot.

Hello Libby
You are right. The improvements they've made in the surgeries are wonderful. By comparison my scoliosis surgery in the late 70's was Dark Ages stuff according to my son's surgeon. We're trying to keep a positive attitude here and make it through August 4th.

Thanks Diana
The beach house was great. Some of my extended family were able to join us which made it doubly nice. The weather was terrific. No complaints at all. We didn't want to leave. :-)

中島 彰信
I love that my cannas are almost no maintenance. I hope you will take some photos of your cannas for your blog so we can see them.

Happy Gardening!
Dawn

A wildlife gardener said...

I will keep you and your son in my special prayers, Dawn. I hope you have a happy summer :)